The Right Stuff is the story of the beginnings of the U.S. space program and the first seven Mercury astronauts. These original seven American astronauts were announced by NASA on April 9, 1959. It was clear from the beginning that no one had the first clue how to put a human being into space. The astronauts were strapped into rockets that could explode at any time. In the event they got into space, there was no guarantee that they’d be able to safely reenter the earth’s atmosphere. Nevertheless, these brave men accepted the challenge proving they were made of the right stuff. Eventually, all seven flew in space and returned home safely.
How do we know who has the right stuff here at Revel? By looking at our core values.
Our core values are a set of guiding principles for Revel. They define our culture and represent who we truly are as people. The best values are personal and that’s precisely how we arrived at ours. We made a list of Revelers that if we cloned them we could take over the world.
We unveiled these new core values at our EOS (Entrepreneurial Operating System) state of the company meeting, known as The State of Revel, in January:
Let’s take a look at what each of the values means to our team in more detail:
- Don’t think less of themselves, but think of themselves less
- Lack excessive ego or concerns about status
- Put the team first
- Are quick to point out the contributions of others
- Define success collectively rather than individually
- Are trustworthy and responsible
- Provide consistently excellent results time after time
- Deliver on commitments and promises
- Show up on time, ready to work every time
- Do what they say they’re going to do when they say they’re going to do it
- Ask “How can I help?”
- Put other people first
- Offer multiple ways to solve a problem
- Make things easier to understand
- Raise their hands
- Are eager to learn more
- Ask questions
- Are lifelong learners
- Are great listeners
- Understand that excellence is a journey
- Never have to be pushed to work harder
- Are self-motivated
- Always think about the next step and the next opportunity
- Want more
- Love winning
Although world domination or sending a Reveler into space isn’t our goal, living our core values will have a profound impact on our company. We may not all know them by heart yet but before long we’ll be able to recite them from memory. In the meantime, rest assured our team has the right stuff because these new values were inspired by all of us.